I Want To

BE A CHAMELEON
Disappear into the crowd, 
match the personalities around me.
Mirror their energies, 
dress as they do. 
Settle into my role as a wall,
with my eyes downcast 
and my tongue bit firmly between my teeth. 

BREAK OUT!
Unshackle the abrasive tongue
let it rip like fire!
Stare menacingly into their eyes,
watch them cower in terror.
Dance with arms open wide
flailing in an uncontrolled manner.
Dress more than little scandalously,
while adding bright red dye into my hair.


BE A CHAMELEON
Ensuring my dress hem doesn't rise above my knee
and my fingers are painted faintly. 
My hand shakes are kind and gentle, 
and shared smiles are plastic and fake. 
My voice will never rise,
and all responses are finely tuned 
to be feigned agreements.

BREAK OUT!
I'll be far beyond tipsy when I shout your name
from the other side of the room,
and I'll tell you what I really mean
while voicing all those controversial opinions.
My skirt will cover just enough,
and it will be black and leather.
My dark wine lip stain will show off
the devious grin I give you.

BE A CHAMELEON
My footsteps won't make but a sound
as I masterfully use the correct dinnerware 
made of real silver.
And every time I pick up that tea
poured into delicate china,
my pinky will be up right 
and I'll only speak in turn;
one would think I was a decedent of royalty. 

BREAK OUT!
I'll crack your glass against the wall
while you are using it.
Scream and throw a tantrum on the floor
make everyone stop and stare.
I'll sing at a horrific volume
you'll want to plug your ears.
But this is fun and I am done
with wanting to be a chameleon. 


Comments